Lecturer in Textiles, Fashion and Design
B.Des in Textile Design, National College of Art and Design
PDE Art and Design Education, National College of Art and Design
Diploma in Dress Designing, Grafton Academy of Dress Designing
Emer Maher Dowling is a lecturer within the Home Economics Department. She is a graduate of the National College of Art and Design, with a Batchelor of Design in Textile Design and a Professional Diploma in Education in Art and Design Education. Emer is also a graduate of the Grafton Academy of Dress Designing with a Diploma in Dress Designing. Emer has over 20 years’ experience working in the fashion, textiles and design industry. Along with running her own fashion label Emer has worked for employers such as John Rocha, Regine, The Abbey Theatre, Wonder Works and has tutored in The Grafton Academy of Dress Designing for over 8 years.
Emer’s research interests include
- Exploring and experimenting with different pedagogical models and digital learning for design education and related processes.
- Digital learning support for TFD processes
- Sustainability within TFD
- Perceived student barriers to design education and creativity and how to overcome them.
- Exhibited design work in the National Craft Exhibition 2011 as part of the Year of Craft National Exhibition.
- RDS National Craft Competition, winner of the Lilias Mitchell Award 2011.
- Society of Dyers and Colourists, 2nd place winner of the International Design Competition Irish section 2011.
- Since 2014 I have been giving voluntary craft workshops in the Lilly Lolly Craft Fest.