Director of Incorporation
Seán is an experienced School and Organisational Leader with thirty years of experience as a teacher, school principal and as a senior manager in a number of roles with the Department of Education and Skills. He has worked as Deputy Director of three Department of Education and Skills funded support services from 2001 to 2017. These support services were funded by the Teacher Education Section and the ICT Policy Unit of the Department of Education and Skills. He has extensive experience engaging with Department of Education and Skills officials and continues to be a member of the Ministerial Implementation Action Group (IAG) guiding the implementation of the Digital Strategy for Schools (2015 - 2020).
He played a central role in the integration and consolidation of services as the previously stand-alone Primary Curriculum Support Service (PCSP) and School Development Planning (SDP) support services were integrated to form the Primary Professional Development Service (PPDS). The ultimate aim was to align whole school planning and curricular provision planning support to teachers and this had to be achieved through organisational efficiency, effectiveness, flexibility and value for money. The main challenges centred on the change management process and taking the practices and expertise of all stakeholders into consideration and to ensuring the meaningful integration of support services to provide more effective curricular planning and delivery to the teachers of Ireland.
Sean’s management of the consolidation of services continued when the PPDS was amalgamated with the Second Level Support Service (SLSS) to form the cross-sectoral Professional Development Service for Teachers (PDST). He was appointed Deputy Director of this integrated support service with responsibility for ICT support at all levels. One year later, the National Centre for Technology in Education (NCTE) based in Dublin City University (DCU) became an integral part of PDST.
- Irish representative on the SELFIE-EU team which has developed the self-assessment framework for school leaders, teachers and students in relation to the use of technology in schools - EU’s Joint Research Centre, Seville, Spain
- Presented at the SELFIE Forum in Madrid, April 2019 - https://ec.europa.eu/education/schools-go-digital/selfie_news/selfie-forum-european-gathering-on-teaching-and-learning-in-the-digital-age_en
- Member of Department of Education and Skills Implementation Action Group (IAG) in relation to the Digital Strategy for Schools (2015 - 2020)
- Member of Department of Education and Skills IAG sub-group investigating technical support models for Irish schools
- Article ‘Our story: embedding digital technologies and computational thinking in a primary school’ published by EU’s School Education Gateway at: https://www.schooleducationgateway.eu/en/pub/viewpoints/experts/our-story-embedding-digital.htm
- Published a series of article detailing the embedding of digital technologies in teaching, learning and assessment in the INTO magazine for all INTO members
- Keynote address at INTO Education Conference 2017 - ICT in Education: Policy, pedagogy and practice. Webcast available at http://www.into.ie/ROI/NewsEvents/Conferences/EducationConsultativeConference/EducationConsultativeConference2017/WebcastArchive