Programme Director and Lecturer (BNSc ID)
MA Health Education;
Carmel is a Programme Director and a lecturer within the Department of Nursing, Health Sciences and Disability Studies. She is a graduate of University of Wales College of Newportand St. Angela’s Collegewith an MA in Health Education and a graduate of the University of Wales College of Cardiff with a Certificate in Education. Carmel also holds a Diploma in Management from the Royal College of Surgeons Ireland. Carmel has extensive experience working as an external examiner in Ireland and the United Kingdom.
Jennings, Courell, and Walsh (2006) Life Planning. In Gates (2006) Care Planning and Delivery in Intellectual Disability Nursing, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford.
Gallagher A.M, Jennings, C. (2015) Service Users perspectives on sex and sexuality. Learning Disability Practice, Vol 18. No 1.
Glacken, M., Murphy, T., Mc Sharry, P., O Grady T., Gilrane, U., Healy, D., Dolan, S., O Connell, D., Healy-Mc Gowan, S., Mc Gloin, H., Walsh-Gallagher, D., Mc Sharry, E. & Jennings, C. (2016) Service users’ and carers’ experiences of their mental health recovery journey as it relates to partnership and choice. Annual Research Conference, Sligo University Hospital November 25th 2016 (Poster)
O Grady, T., Murphy, T., Glacken, M, Gilrane, U., O Connell, D., Walsh-Gallagher, D., Healy- Mc Gowan, S., Healy, D, Mc Gloin, H., Mc Sharry, E., Jennings, C. & Dolan, S. (2016) Service users and carers’ experiences of HSE NW Mental Health Services contribution to the recovery journey Annual Research Conference, Sligo University Hospital November 25th 2016 (Paper).
Glacken M, Healy, D, Healy-Mc Gowan, D. Jennings, C. Dolan, S. O Grady, Gilrane-Mc Garry, U. Walsh-Gallagher, D. (2017) Lamh: Parents’ experiences. Funded Research for Lámh - Communication Augmentation Sign System Ltd
Glacken, M., Healy, D., Gilrane, U., Healy-McGowan, S., Dolan, S., Jennings, C., & Walsh-Gallagher, D. (2018) Parents experiences of an unaided form of augmentative and alternative communication. Journal of Intellectual Disabilities, Vol 23 No 3.
- Registered Nurse Intellectual Disability (RNID) with NMBI (1980)
- Qualified as a Behaviour therapist with the Royal Devon & Exeter College of Nursing (1986)
- Registered Nurse Tutor with NMBI (1990)
- Certificate in Education 1990
- Diploma in Management 1992
- MA in Health Education Honours 1999
Member of the following committees
- Shaping the Future of the RNID (National committee)
- Part of a national forum for supporting the development of higher education for People with intellectual disability
- Local Joint working group
- Curriculum development groups for undergraduate and post graduate courses within the department
- Course committees for Masters and undergraduate courses
- Programme Board
- Nurse Practice Clinical decision-making group
- Practice Placement Partnership group
- Liaison group