Lecturer in Religious Education
1 Year Specific Purpose Contract - January 2021 to 31st December 2021
The successful Candidate will work at pre-undergraduate, undergraduate and post-graduate levels within the School of Education at St. Angela’s College and will have specific duties in the area of Religious Education and Theology.
The broad responsibilities attached to the post of Lecturer in Religious Education will include the following:
- Teaching and assessment on Religious Education (RE), Theology, Education programmes at pre-undergraduate, undergraduate and postgraduate levels together with teacher induction programmes, continuing professional development programmes and incidental courses within the School of Education and across relevant college programmes in line with college policy;
- Teaching and assessment in the area of RE on the BA/PME Initial Teacher Education programme for post-primary teachers, H. Dip. in RE, Certificate in RE for primary teachers and on relevant postgraduate programmes;
Module leadership, design, delivery and assessment of the following modules:
- Pedagogy for RE in Initial Teacher Education Programme
- Introduction to Religious Education
- Foundational Ethics
- Critical Questions in Religious Education
- Philosophies of Secular Belief
- Religious Education Research Paper
- Philosophy of Education
- Responsibility for preparation of students to become teachers of RE at Post-primary level;
- Initiation, leadership, management, organisation, monitoring, evaluation and development of relevant programmes and modules;
- Tutoring / supervision of students on School Placement, practicum and in microteaching;
- Make a teaching contribution to the work of the School of Education including, in particular, one or more of the following areas: Sociology of Education, Philosophy of Education, History of Education, Curriculum Studies, Educational Management, Special Educational Needs, Professional Preparation and Development and Research Pedagogy;
- Teaching and assessment on relevant School of Education Postgraduate/Masters/Doctoral programmes including leadership of pathways/modules and supervision of research projects, assignments and dissertations;
- Continuous development and updating of courses / programmes, including digital learning, in Religious Education/Theology within the School of Education;
- Evaluation of relevant programmes and revision and development of programmes on an ongoing basis;
- Maintaining an active research profile including initiating and implementing research projects and publication of articles within the area of RE/Theology;
- Full participation in School of Education meetings;
- Full participation in the work of relevant committees including the RE sub-committee and full involvement in RE Team meetings;
- Contributing to the collaborative work of the RE Discipline Team;
- Other such duties as may be assigned from time to time by Head of School (Education)/College President.
- A relevant honours primary degree or its equivalent in RE/Catechetics/Theology;
- Relevant postgraduate qualification in RE/Catechetics/Theology or related disciplines preferably at Doctoral level;
The successful candidate will most likely also possess some or all of the following:
- A relevant teaching qualification at post-primary level;
- Relevant teaching experience at post-primary level;
- Experience of working in the fields of RE/Catechetics/Theology/ Education or related areas;
- Relevant teaching experience at third level;
- An understanding and knowledge of the education sector particularly in relation to trends relating to RE/Theology/Education;
- A proven ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team;
- A flexible approach to work and an ability to prioritise;
- A thorough knowledge, understanding and competence in the area of research and publication;
- An ability to contribute to one or more of the educational disciplines taught by the Education Department;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including presentational, verbal and written skills at professional and academic levels;
- Proven ability to work on own initiative and as part of an integrated team;
- An ability to lead and contribute to the development of relevant initiatives of the School of Education.
Reporting will be to the Head of School (Education) and /or College President.
Commencing January 2021, this is a 12 month fixed term contract.
The appointment will be made on the Lecturer Scale at a point in line with current Government Pay Policy.
The post will be based at St. Angela's College, Lough Gill, Sligo and some assignments will require attendance at other sites.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of application together with a Curriculum Vitae, including the names and addresses of three referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or post to HR Department, St. Angela’s College, Lough Gill, Sligo.
Candidates will be short-listed on the basis of information supplied.
Canvassing will disqualify.
St. Angela's College regrets that it cannot refund any expenses incurred by candidates attending for interview.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo Garda Vetting procedures.